Principals Selling Form One Slots For As High As Ksh250,000

Forms ones lining up during the school's admission process.

Parents are crying foul following emerging reports that principals of secondary schools are selling Form One slots for as high as Ksh250,000 per student in exchange for their admission into the schools.

In a report by the Nation on Sunday, August 8, the school heads pounced on the parents' last-ditch efforts to have their children enroll in schools of their choice.

The report further uncovered how national schools are charging slots for a whopping average range of between Ksh100,000 to Ksh250,000 while national schools outside Nairobi are charging between Ksh50,000 to Ksh70,000.

Extra county schools are charging Ksh50,000 with county schools demanding between Ksh10,000 to Ksh30,000. Sub-county schools charge for as low as Ksh5,000.

Students in a classroom.

The parents launched various complaints towards the National Parents Association (NPA) laying down their plight. The majority argued that they fell for the trap of the new scheme that has seen their children miss out on slots to the school.

A frustrated parent who posted on a WhatsApp group for instance lamented being conned Ksh40,000 by a prestigious Nairobi boarding school to secure a Form One slot for her daughter.

“I can’t believe I was conned out of Ksh40,000. My girl is still at home,” posted the parent.

National Parents Association (NPA) chairman Nicholas Maiyo revealed on Saturday, August 7 that the lobby had received many complaints about principals and teachers who have conned parents telling them they will secure Form One slots for them, a scenario that casted a dark cloud as Form One students began reporting to schools this past week.

“A parent was conned out of Ksh7,000 by a teacher in a school in Kwale but when she took the child she found the slot is not there,” revealed Maiyo.

Maiyo added that they are compiling evidence to present to the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) for disciplinary action against the school heads responsible.

“We have already received several cases. We shall report them to TSC once our list of evidence is complete,” said Maiyo.

The chaotic situation has caused several students to report to their placed schools only to find that they had been transferred to a different institution without their knowledge.

Despite the Ministry of Education issuing strict guidelines to curb the malpractice, some parents were by the end of Friday, August 6 searching for alternative schools for their children. A majority of them were willing to buy the slots.

Basic Education PS Julius Jwan condemned the malpractices terming them as illegal and affirmed that action would be taken against the principals responsible.

Education CS George Magoha.
“I wish parents report to us, to police, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission or TSC so that such unscrupulous principals can be subjected to disciplinary processes,” said Dr Jwan.

Dr Jwan further termed the ongoing sale of Form One slots as a criminal act and asked parents to avoid such practices as some could be falling prey to con artists.

The practice of school heads selling Form One slots is not new as it had become a tradition in the 1990s. The principals have been notoriously selling Form One slots of needy students who could not afford school fees for the national and provincial schools to able parents.

However, the introduction of the National Education Management Information System (NEMIS) reduced the cases as a request has to be made online and allow approval from the ministry. NEMIS had set out to cut down on the number such cases and streamline the placement of Form One students.

The report comes as many parents lamented on social media on their state of affairs which involved their children reporting their placed schools only to discover that they had been transferred to a different school unknowingly. One such case involved Hilda Anatwa, a student recently admitted to Mugoiri Girls High School in Murang'a County receiving a rude shock after her slot was swapped.

Her mother, Rachel Amogola uncovered her daughter's situation in a video that went viral on Monday, August 2 and forced the school to readmit Anatwa.

Meanwhile the Ministry of Education on Saturday extended the reporting of Form One students to ensure all of them report as part or the government's plan to ensure 100 percent report policy. On Tuesday, August 3, it released Ksh17.5 billion to all learners in public primary and secondary schools across the country.

Share your thoughts, and Join the conversation on Twitter or Facebook:

Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.